Monday, May 11, 2015

Copying is recommended

This month I am trying to show you how it is okay to copy somebody's card.  You can copy it completely or you can copy the idea and change out the color, add a different ribbon, add a button, etc.  It is really an honor in my book when someone copy's my stamping projects.  I tell my kids at school when they get upset because someone is copying them, that means you are doing something they think is great.  Be proud of the fact that they want to be like you.  The same goes for making craft things.  Be proud.  As you start copying you will start feeling more comfortable to change something.  If you think I knew how to do all of this stamping before I became a Stampin' Up demonstrator, I better have a heart to heart talk with you.  Because I am not perfect.  I do not know everything about everything.  I do my best to keep learning.  I hope I never stop learning.  I love to experiment with new things.  Which reminds me because I am a SU demonstrator I get a few special privileges.  One is that I get to order from the new catalog a month ahead of customers.  Oh yeah.  That is so much fun.  So we do not get to order everything from the new catalog (but I am going to want everything from the new catalog!).  There are sneak peek  items.  Mine will be coming tomorrow night!  So I will be busy Wednesday stamping and stamping and stamping oh yeah and smiling and smiling and smiling.  If you want to get in on the fun of being a SU demonstrator as a hobbyist or to hold classes or to get things at a discount or you want to make it a business adventure for yourself, then go to my SU web page and click on join my family.  It is $99 to join.  You get to choose $125 of product of your choice!  Then in the next 45 days you can order again and get 30% off any items you or your friends, family members or customers order!  So head on over to stampinup.com click on find a demonstrator Janice Borchart and you will get my web page.  I would love to have you on my team.

Okay back to copying.  Here is the card I posted last week.  I told you I would find out what her name is.  She is Tara Jeffries from Fergus Falls, MN.  I got this card as a swap when I was at a SU event for others that are in my SU family.
So next I am going to show you my version of her card.
Do you see how I copied her layout.  I used the same size of layered cardstock.  I stamped in a little different colors that she did.  I even copied the squiggle lines and daubering the edges.  I know my customers would have a hard time making the banner cut look even, so I decided to change it to be a rectangle.  I used a hostess stamp set that will no longer be available next month.  It is a polymer stamp so we could put the words in the frame by stretching the frame a little.  She had her butterfly on the right side and I decided mine it should be on the left side.  I added the ribbon but have it going down the card.

So do you see how copying and changing a little bit can make it your own?  If you are interested in coming to my card class to do this card, contact me.  I will be having this class again on Wednesday, May 27th at 9am and again at 2pm.  The cost is $10.  Make sure you RSVP 48 hours ahead of time so I am sure to have space for you. 

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment